Choosing a document scanner software that’s perfect for your organization can be tough. There are multiple options to choose from, and not all are going to be suitable for your needs. That’s why determining your particular requirements – essentially, what you expect to achieve from the file scanning software – is so important. After this is understood, you can make a more informed decision, but even then, it can be hard to select a vendor.
To help you make the right decision for your business, we’ve compiled a list of the 12 characteristics that the best document scanner software all have in common.
1. Ability to add files from multiple sources – the file scanning software should facilitate importing documents from various sources
2. Strong document imaging capabilities – the ability to scan and import a number of different documents with high quality
3. Backup and restore functionality – good document scanner software will include a simple method for backing up and restoring data so that it is not lost
4. Multi-format capabilities – since most document scanning projects require the scanning of many types of documents, the best systems can facilitate scanning multiple data formats
5. Multi-User Access – the best document scanner software will allow multiple users to access documents to encourage collaboration, increase efficiency and also facilitate access control
6. Mobile device integration – with an increasing need for mobile access to documents, good file scanning software allows users to access scanned files on their mobile devices when they are on the go
7. Support – good document software vendors will provide support to quickly correct any issues that may arise, thus minimizing downtime
8. OCR capabilities – OCR, or optical character recognition, allows for the conversion of multiple types and formats of information into editable, searchable data
9. Document workflows – these allow users to track documents through defined processes after documents have been converted
10. Version Control – this capability allows you to ensure the right version of a document is being used for the correct purposes.
11. Security – since file scanning software is meant to help manage your sensitive organizational data, security features should be strong
12. Centralization – one of the biggest advantages of file scanning software is to facilitate the conversion of your documents into a single centralized space, so that management is easier and data can be used more efficiently. Good systems will offer the ability to retrieve all document from a central location
Whatever document scanner software vendor you decide to go with, any that can offer the majority of the above features likely provides a strong service that will suit the needs of your business.